Open Table United Methodist Church
Director of Youth Ministries
Open Table UMC, a progressive, diverse, and LGBTQ+ affirming church in downtown Raleigh, has an immediate opening for a full-time director of youth ministries. While there is a small youth ministry in place, this person will essentially be creating a ministry from the ground up. We believe that our church is strategically positioned to create a ministry for teens that reflects our values to disciple teens in a progressive faith, create a culturally diverse ministry, mobilize teens for the ministry of justice, and create a space for LGBTQ+ students to be embraced and empowered.
This position includes both Jr & Sr high ministries.
This person would also be a key leader in helping to further the church’s missional efforts to engage with and advocate for at-risk teenagers in the city.
The job description will include, but is not limited to:
- Engaging students in and out of the church setting
- Creating a regular weekly meeting
- Integrate the teens into the overall life of the church (mission, service, presence, visibility)
- Lead the youth ministry into justice ministries in the city
- Regularly engage parents of teens
- Create and successfully manage a group of adult volunteers and interns
- Participate in UMC events and retreats with the teens
- Create and lead a robust confirmation program
- Help to lay a foundation of faith and justice engagement that the teens will take with them into adulthood
- Attend UMC conference related events as necessary
- Join the preaching rotation of the church
This is a great opportunity for a progressive, creative, affirming, and justice focused leader whose calling is clearly to help teenagers build a faith that is engaged in our world. As such, previous experience in youth ministry (non-profit or church based) is necessary and a college degree is preferred. Experience in the UMC is also preferred but not necessary. Persons of color are strongly recommended to apply.
This position will remain open until filled.
Unfortunately, no benefits are offered at this time.
To apply send a cover letter and email to: email@example.com